TITLEBingham Fort Monument Dedication
TYPE OF MEDIA
$3.00 ( per copy)
SEND CHECKS TO
Bingham Fort Monument Dedication
August 6, 2005 - Ogden, Utah
42:05 Minutes (DVD Video)
Video Recording of the historic dedication of the Bingham Fort monument dedication that was filmed on August 6, 2005 in Ogden, Utah. Also includes a .pdf version of the program that was handed out at the dedication and photos of the monument. The entire program was filmed with before and after filming of the audience.
Welcome . . . . . . . . Steven G. Johnson - President, Our Families Roots Organization
Opening Prayer . . . David Stone Montgomery
Speaker . . . . . . . . . Rick Safsten - Council Chair - Ogden City Council
Speaker . . . Mary Johnson - President, International Society - Daughters of Utah Pioneers
Dedicatory Prayer . . Brent Bingham
Actual Monument Text
Erastus Bingham, Utah pioneer of 1847 and Mormon bishop, established a farmstead at this site in 1851 and extended the irrigation ditch from 12th Street to this location. In 1853 Brigham Young ordered the settlers of the area, known as North Ward of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, to "fort up" for protection from hostile Indians. Bishop Bingham supervised the construction of Bingham's Fort and expanded the ditch to run adjacent to both the north and south walls.
Each family in the fort completed an assigned section of the twelve-foot high walls. The walls were eight feet wide at the bottom and tapered to three feet at the top. The base was made of rock. The walls were made of mud, reinforced by poles and woven willows. The gate of heavy timber was large enough to drive a team through. By 1854, Isaac Newton Goodale recorded 562 people living in the fort. Of the 21 forts on the Wasatch Front, Bingham's Fort was known for its large population.
Within the fort, Goodale laid out lots. Houses were erected 66 feet from the walls to provide space for livestock. Several mercantile houses and Sam Gate's molasses mill operated in the fort. A schoolhouse served as the center of community life. Shoshone Indians lived in the fort during the winter of 1854-1855 due to their shortage of food. By 1855, the final dimensions of the fort were 60 by 120 rods, about 45 acres.
In 1856, when peace prevailed, the fort disbanded. The 7th Street settlement grew and was known as Lynne. The fort walls were completely taken down in 1888. In 1890, Lynne became part of Ogden City. The pioneer ditches, and Bingham's Farm and Bingham's Lane (2nd Street) were still in use in 2004.
Weber Northwest Company Daughters of Utah Pioneers and Marriott Heritage Foundation 2004 • No. 164 (Monument Text)
Topics: Erastus Bingham, Lucinda Gates Bingham and Bingham Fort, Bingham Genealogy, Bingham Ancestors, Gates Family History, Erastus Bingham the Patriarch, Descendants, Sketches, Family History, Genealogy
© 2005 by Our Families Roots Organization. All rights reserved.