Contact Us Podcasts Store Registration Home

Malinda Gimlin Lewis

BIRTHDATE: 27 Mar 1811

Burksville, Cumberland, Kentucky

DEATH: 5 Jun 1894

Richfield, Utah

PARENTS: Samuel Gimlin

Elizabeth Moore Gimlin

PIONEER: 21 Sep 1848

Brigham Young Wagon Company

SPOUSE: TarletonLewis

MARRIED: 27 Mar 1828

Simpson County, Kentucky

DEATH SP: 22 Nov 1890

Teasdale, Wayne, Utah



Samuel, 27 Oct 1829

Marv, 10 Sep 1831 (died age 6)

Beason, 19 Jul 1836 (died age 6)

Edward Partridge, 3 Jan 1840 (died age 4)

Malinda, 30 Jan 1844 (died age 14)

Tarleton, 23 Dec 1846

Martha Gimlin, 10 Jul 1849

Epnraim, 17 Jun 1852 (died age 16)

Malinda was bom and raised in Kentucky. She married Tarleton on her seventeenth birthday. They had two small children when they moved to Illinois to be near Tarleton's brothers. It was in Illinois they learned about and joined the LDS Church. They moved again to Missouri to gather with the Saints. Her husband was shot in the shoulder at the time of Haun's Mill Massacre. She nursed him and two other men back to good health. Their family eventually moved to Nauvoo where she found herself caring for her children alone while her husband traveled north for nine months obtaining quality lumber for the Nauvoo Temple. They both received their endowments and were sealed before they were forced to leave their home and city. When they went to Winter Quarters, her sixteen-year-old son was called to serve in the Morrnon Battalion. Her husband accompanied Brigham Young in the first company going to Salt Lake Valley. Malinda cared for her young family alone for over a year in very adverse conditions. He returned for her and the family and they traveled to Salt Lake Valley in 1848.

They lived in Salt Lake City for only two years when they were called upon to start colonizing southern Utah. She moved her family to Parowan, again to Minersville, and then to Richfield. She helped her husband establish several towns throughout the state and spent most of her life living on the edge of the frontier. She also supported him while he lived in polygamy and the United Order for several years. Malinda served as the first Relief Society president in Minersville. She was known for her willingness to help anyone in need and would often share her own food and supplies with others. She learned to be resourceful. She was a bishop's wife from their early days of Nauvoo until the final years of her life. After being widowed for four years, Malinda died in Richfield, Utah on June 5,1894.

Copyright Statement Privacy Statement Acceptable Use Policy About Us Registration Home