Contact Us Podcasts Store Registration Home

Phoebe Jane Burke Bingham

BIRTHDATE: 28 Jan 1836

Liberty, Clay Co., Missouri

DEATH: 26May 1914

Ogden, Weber Co., Utah

PARENTS: John Mathias Burke

Keziah Ketura van Benthuysen

PIONEER: 1848 Amasa Lyman

Company Wagon Train

SPOUSE: Edwin Bingham

MARRIED: 28 Dec 1854

DEATH SP: 25 Feb 1903

Ogden, Weber Co., Utah



Edwin Florentine, 26 Sep 1855

Bertrand Artello, 25 Feb 1857 (died at age 8)

Phoebe Keziah, 2 Mar 1859

Ida Evelyn, 13 Sep 1861

May Lucinda, 10 Apr 1865

Henry Dewitt, 17 Jan 1867

Inez Teressa, 23 Aug 1871

Cora Estella, 8 Dec 1874

Phoebe was born to parents who were members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Her father served as a High Priest, a bishop, and later a Patriarch. She has many happy memories of being in the Lucy Mack Smith home, of sitting on Joseph Smith's knee, of hearing him preach in the bowery near the Nauvoo Temple, of seeing him in uniform as Lieutenant General of the Nauvoo Legion on the Fourth of July, and of watching her brother, James Henry, do some carving on the oxen which were to support the baptismal font.

She came with her parents across the Plains in 1848, with Amasa Lyman Wagon Company. Some Indians saw her golden hair and offered to buy her. They settled in Salt Lake Valley for a time before they were called to settle in Bingham s Fort.

She met and married Edwin Bingham. They passed through many strenuous times. She was left with the caring for her children and home while he was on guard during the Johnston's Army trouble. She battled with the grasshoppers and crickets which were devouring their crops. Her father died and her mother came to live with them until her death.

They were called to Parowan for a short time, then moved to Minersville, Beaver County, where they built a home, had a farm, and engaged in a small mercantile business. She assisted in the purchasing and selling of the goods.

She owned the first Singer Sewing Machine in Minersville and used it to make buckskin gloves for ladies and gentlemen. She made yards and yards of cloth from crude wool and cotton. She enjoyed fishing both for pleasure and out of necessity to feed the family.

Phoebe served as the secretary of the Relief Society for several years. When they moved to Horse Shoe Bend, they homesteaded 160 acres of land, furnished the North Star Mining Camp with milk, butter, and water. When they left this homestead, they went to Milford and engaged in the hotel business for several years. Then they moved to Ogden where they manufactured the Bingham's Cough Syrup, Liniment, and other articles.

Copyright Statement Privacy Statement Acceptable Use Policy About Us Registration Home