Camp Hollow Monument - Hyrum, Utah
(Monument B: Plaque on post, 4' H, metal)
HISTORY OF CAMP HOLLOW 125 YEARS LATER
In March 1860 a group of pioneers left Cedar City to settle in Cache Valley. They explored the valley and decided to make a settlement about 5 miles east of Old Fort Wellsville, called Camp Hollow. These pioneers led by Ira Allen, arrived on April 8, 1860. At first they lived in wagon boxes or tents. Those that didn't have these, built 13 dugouts, holes in ground with logs at west end for wall. Larger logs were placed over top with thick covering over the branches. The settlers planted 100 acres of corn, wheat, oats and barley for winter. More families joined them and they decided they needed a townsite with more water and with higher and better drained land. In the fall of 1860 Camp Hollow was deserted. Monument moved by Hyrum Youth Council to northwest corner of Hyrum East Park
Location: 600 E Park Drive HYRUM, CACHE County, UT NW corner of Hyrum East Park Discription: Etched in stone Map of old site on plaque & post mon. Free-standing Cut boulder 5' Height 6' Wide 3' Deep Date Erected: 1962
(Monument A) (ERECTED 1962)
On April 6, 1860 the first pioneers of Hyrum encamped on this stream, they lived in wagon boxes, shelters dug into the banks, tilled and planted about one hundred acres of virgin soil. Later in the fall, following the advice of Apostle Ezra Taft Benson, they moved about one mile south west, built a fort and named the place Hyrum in honor of the beloved brother of the prophet Joseph Smith, both of whom were martyred at Carthage, Illinois June 27, 1844.
HEADS OF FAMILIES
Niels B. Nielsen
Andrew A. Anderson
Andrew A. Allen
Jens Jensen Sr.
Hans E. Nielsen