During the winter of 1858-1859 the first school was held in a log schoolhouse which stood near the site of the present Riverdale chapel. The floor and roof were dirt and seats were made of split logs. There were but few books, but slates were used. W. R. Cole, Hugh Findlay and Adam Fife were the school trustees and Hugh Findlay was the teacher. In 1862 a larger log house was built, which was replaced by a rock schoolhouse in 1865. This building stood directly across the street from the log building. It served for all purposes until 1900, when a separate ward house was erected at a cost of $3,500.
Source: Beneath Ben Lomond's Peak, Daughters of Utah Pioneers, Weber County Chapter, Pg. 163