Bingham Barn, c. 1860s, located south of crosswalk at 319 West 2nd Street, Ogden, Ut.
The crosswalk across West 2'1d Street designates the location of the west wall of Bingham's Fort, 1853-56. The Bingham Barn, built in the 1860s, was located by the southwest corner of Bingham's Fort. At this point the first irrigation ditch makes a sharp turn to the south designating the end of the span of the ditch that ran adjacent to the south wall of the fort.
In will of Erastus Bingham, 1789-1882, his wife Mahitable was given use of the barn, cabin, and granary until her death. She died in 1886 and farrmstead was sold to Robert Shay of Eureka, Utah. He rented out the farm for the next 20 years. In 1894 immigrant Andrew Mills from New Zealand rented the farmstead. He refurbished the barn and granary. His daughter married a neighbor John Stone in 1900. The Mills family quit renting the farmstead after Thomas Mills got married, about 1905.
Sarah Stone Brown, sister of John, rented the barn and used it as a laundry for several years around 1910. In 1913 John and Chauncey Stone bought the Bingham Farmstead and joined it to the Stone Farrnstead located across the street. 38-year-old John and 33-year-old Chauncey were successful farmers expanding their operations. 1890-1922 was a prosperous time for farming. (Utah History, p.430)
In the 1920s and 1930s Chauncey and John turned the barn into a blacksmith repair shop for farm machines and cars. It was used by the whole neighborhood; men congregated here to work and socialize.
In the late 1920s Earl Salt built a garage and attached it to the north side of the Bingham granary while he and his wife, Darhl Brown, daughter of Sarah Stone Brown lived in the old Bingham Home. See 1929 photo. In 1950 Clyde Montgomery moved the garage and attached it to the north side of the Bingham barn. This is the small gabled structure visible in the photograph above on the north side of the barn.
The barn roof collapsed in the late 1950s. Clyde Montgomery, John Stone's son-in-law, and his neighbor, Leon Reno, rebuilt it. They used the same barn wood and some support timbers from Ed Stone's pioneer cabin that Leon gave Clyde. The old barn had a wooden roof that they replaced with corrugated tin. It was finished about 1960. Clyde added a lean-to on the south side of the barn a few years later for a cow shed and storage.
Clyde built a lean to on the barn on the south side.