Contact Us Podcasts Store Registration Home

George H. Tribe - Is Called By Death At His Home

George H. Tribe Is Called By Death At His Home

George H. Tribe one of Utah's pioneers and a prominent financier and merchant of Ogden, died yesterday at the family home; 336 Twenty-first street, after suffering four years from cancer. Mr. Tribe was president of the George H. Tribe Liquor company, a vice president of the First National Bank and was connected with a number of other business enterprises.

He was a son of Joseph Tribe and Sarah Ann Mates, both of whom are dead. The family emigrated to America in 1854, landing at New Orleans. From there they went to St. Louis, where the father, Joseph Tribe, died of brain fever, caused by the extreme heat of that summer.

In 1855, the Mother, with her two daughters Mary and Emma, and her two sons, George and David crossed the plains to Utah. At this time George was 11 years of age. They arrived in Salt Lake City on October 28, 1855 in the company led by Milo Andrus and Joseph Hall. While on the way to Utah the party had several perilous experiences with Indians which were fighting that year with the United States Soldiers. Four years later , Mr. Tribe recrossed the plains as far as the Missouri river, they met a company with his brother-in-law Emerson Shurtliff at the Missouri river they met a company of emigrants and escorted them to the Salt Lake Valley. In the summer of 1860 he made a trip to California by the southern route for a train of merchandise.

He gained some valuable business experience in the employ of Rassoboff and company of Salt Lake while he was a young man being placed in charge of the company's branch store at Moroni, San Pete County. During this period of employment by the Ranschoff company. He joined Heber C. Kimball's military company which was organized to go to the relief of San Pete in the time of the Indian troubles. He distinguished himself in this service.

When the telegraph line was established, Mr Tribe went south as far as St. George with John Clows and helped to establish every office on that line. He accepted the management of the office at Torquerville and acted as operator there for four months.

After the experience in the Torquerville telegraph office Mr. Tribe accepted a position with the Godbe and Mitchell company which he held until the dissolution of the company. After the dissolution of the Godbe and Mitchell company he came to Ogden and established a branch store for Mr. Mitchell's. In 1869 he bought out Mitchell's stock of dry goods and groceries and established a business of his own in a store which was located near the place which the store of Richardson & Hunt now occupies. In 1878 Mr. Tribe built the Twenty-fourth street store from which the George H. Tribe Liquor company recently moved to its present location at Washington avenue.

Mr. Tribe is survived by his wife, one brother, D. W. Tribe of Ogden, one sister, Mrs. Amanda Stevens also of Ogden and the following children;

A.M. Tribe, A. G. Tribe, F. E. Tribe, H. J. Tribe, ?? Tribe, Florence Tribe Stevens, Mrs. Nellie Tribe, Mabel Tribe of Ogden, and Mrs. hazel Tribe. Mr. Tribe was born in London England, July 2, 1844 and was 69 years old at the time of his death.

The funeral will be held at the Tabernacle, Thursday at 7 p.m. and the internment will be in the city cemetery. The body may be viewed at the residence 336 Twenty First street, Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Thursday from 10 to 12 a.m.


Copyright Statement Privacy Statement Acceptable Use Policy About Us Registration Home